WestWind Airlines Home Page

WestWind Airlines

Discussion Forums
Welcome to WestWind Airlines Sign in | Help
in Search

Howards Mix

Last post 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM by Ken G. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-20-2009, 1:08 PM 27381

Howards Mix

I found this on flightsim and it sounds cool...but radical. It updates over 3000 files to FSX standards .To quote from the "docs"

FS2004 Howards Mix The FSX Experience
    Documentation Extreme Graphics makeover updating includes a Texture Swap Program Howards Mix will move our trusted FS2004 into this century New Ground Water Clouds/Sky Enhanced Environmental Files All default building have been Upgraded Trees completely redrawn with static birds added Professional quality installer on main program.Download hmdocs.zip docs revised 09
    Howard Smith
    Also:
    Upgrades Performed during the Install Process are
    New all seasons ground textures
    Plentiful and more realistic all new autogen trees
    European Type autogen road signs
    New roads and railways
    New Runway Textures including Markings Etc
    Pylons and lamp posts place at realistic distances
    Enhanced 3D buildings
    Enhanced water colours and waves
    New shore lines
    More stable and crisper environmental texturing
    Upgraded sun moon and real star constellations
    Increased weather themes
    New enhanced sky colours
    Upgraded clouds
    Longer contrails
    AND MUCH MORE
    IN ALL OVER 3000 DEFAULT FILES WILL BE ENHANCED
    Sorry for the long post, but would like some opinions on this program from the experts before I attempt this upgrade(hmprog.zip)

Who wants to be the first brave soul to dive in the pool?

Thanks in advance
    Rick

•  07-20-2009, 4:41 PM 27388 in reply to 27381

Re: Howards Mix

Well, since you found it, you should be the one to test it and report your findings here. Smile Sounds like it is primarily texture enhancements, and most of those mentioned have been available individually over the years. I have tried a few myself and have been pleased with them. Just back up your default files before installing; that way, if you don't like it you can restore the original easily.

Bob Sturm
    Senior Command Captain+2
    Retired Exec. Officer - Scenery
    My Website
  •  08-24-2009, 11:32 AM 28688 in reply to 27388

So, FSX hardly runs on my computer, but on my laptop at my dad's house I get 20+ FPS with most of the setting all the way up. So on my computer here, I decided to try FS2004. It is unbelievable how much better FSX is. So now I decided to try Howard's Mix. This freeware package is amazing! I'm getting 20 fps in virtual cockpit, 30 in spot, and 60 in tower view. This is before defraging the computer or restarting it, which the installer recommends for best results. I have all the settings all the way up, even traffic. The default trees which looked like they flickered when changing direction now don't, the grass looks just like FSX, and the runway textures are like FSX. (in my opinion). I did use extreme environment pro for fsx, but I think Howard's Mix replaced those textures anyways. I deffinantly reccomend this to any FS2004 users. My computer specs: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ 1 GB memory 200 GB Hard drive Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 It's just a normal HP computer, nothing built custom.
    Scott Cote
    Senior Captain
  •  08-24-2009, 11:52 AM 28689 in reply to 28688

Purly speaking as a matter of opinion. Where we come from we gotta a sayin. If it a aint a brokin dont a be a fixin it. I have read some opinions on this in the past. Reinvention of the wheel deal. I'm not risking it!

WWA2024

•  08-24-2009, 6:06 PM 28697 in reply to 28689

Scott,

You think FS2004 is bad, you have'nt seen FS2002, to go from FSX to that is amazing. I'm not doing company flights on FS2002 (yet) but it's still amazing to see the diffrence.

-David Givens
    WWA2276
  •  08-24-2009, 9:13 PM 28706 in reply to 28697

Ok, just to clear things up since people seem to think I'm saying FS2004 is bad, all I'm saying is that I perfer FSX and Microsoft took a big leap in my opinion from one to the other. And the only reason I posted my review was because nobody had yet so I figured it could help make a decision for others.
    Scott Cote
    Senior Captain
  •  09-08-2009, 5:55 PM 29140 in reply to 28706

I went from FSX back to FS9 due to frame rate issues on my computer. I have a P4 2.8 ghz, MSI motherboard and 64MB Geforce video card with 1GB system RAM. It's a custom job I pieced together and I am waiting on the arrival of a 256MB ATI HD2400 Pro Video Card and a 1GB stick of ram. When that arrives I will have 1.5GB ram. Right now I have 2 512MB sticks and only two memory slots. Anyway I have several computers so I decided to try Howards Mix on this one and I must say I am impressed! I have just about everything turned all the way up and I am seeing 20-30 fps most of the time. However I am seeing quite a drop in fps in heavy clouds. And that is in spot view while looking past the plane into heavy clouds. As recommended I had turned up the setting for clouds so I may turn it back down some. Still I am getting better frame rates than I do with FSX and it looks a lot like FSX. If you still run FS9 and haven't upgraded to FSX you don't know what you are missing. If you have FSX and went back to FS9 then I highly recommend Howards Mix. All this may change when I get my Vid Card and RAM but for now with what I have to work with Howards Mix rocks FS9.
    Matt Matthews
    Cat 5 WWA417 KCVG
    25 Hours in one Month X2
    50 Hours in one Month
    2 Million Pounds
  •  09-08-2009, 10:16 PM 29146 in reply to 28697

David Givens:

Scott,

You think FS2004 is bad, you have'nt seen FS2002, to go from FSX to that is amazing. I'm not doing company flights on FS2002 (yet) but it's still amazing to see the diffrence.

FS2004 is, under the hood, FS2002 which had major code improvement over FS2000 but was not as much of an overhaul as FSX was. Since FS98 the basic code has remained unchanged. FS2002 did add new protocols for gauges, the .xml gauge format, and most importantly the 3D Virtual Cockpit. But both FS2002 and FS2004 remained 100% backward compatible with the FS98 era gauge format thus allowing people to mix and match aircraft, sounds and panels. FS2004 did add improvement in the FDE department. From FS2000, FS2002, and FS2004 we slowly got further away from the ambiguous .air file and more information was placed in the easy to edit and easy to read aircraft.cfg

To go "back" to FS2002 is a misnomer, yes there were a few improvements over FS2004 and FS2002 (MS had to justify a $60 price tag for what was basically an update) but most of those updates where surface deep. What FS2004 did, was add content while improving overall performance of the simulator. To choose to load FS2002 over FS2004 would IMHO be like loading Windows 2000 over Windows XP. Sure you could do it, but why? You are going to get less content, and slightly lower performance. To go back to FS2000, you must be nuts. Some of us are trying to forget that nightmare and are only haunted more by FSFW95.

-KenG
    A358 (Retired)

View as RSS news feed in XML